In 1965, the Oklahoma Wheat Resources Act established Oklahoma Wheat Commission, and with it a framework for Oklahoma wheat producers to invest in the promotion of their product, Hard Red Winter wheat.
The Oklahoma Wheat Commission is entirely producer-controlled. Oklahoma wheat producers elect their fellow producers to serve as commissioners in district elections. Each district has an opportunity to elect a commissioner every 5 years. Five Oklahoma wheat producers make up the board of commissioners.
The Oklahoma Wheat Commission promotes greater utilization of wheat in domestic and international markets through research, market development and public education.
- Developing policy and programs
- Overseeing the implementation of policy and programs
- Approving budget expenditures
- Directing the funding of research, market development and public education
- Representing district producer interest
- Promoting Oklahoma wheat